Welcome to our Forum

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Statistics

• Forum Members: 22,407
  • Total Threads: 85,631
  • Total Posts: 3
There are 1 users currently browsing forums.

Easy Links

Notices

Old 16-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
MothersRUs

Question Hello! Dilema on what to do, please help.

Morning all

I haven't been on for a while, not sure if some of you remember but I had a miscarriage in October and you were all so wonderful with your support. I haven't been on since as my mind has been on other things and it's taken me a while to get back into things.

Just to update you now though that I'm 21 weeks pregnant and due on the 24th August with a baby boy! I cannot wait and I'm over the moon!

However trying to get myself in order as I also started a new full time job in November as got made redundant last April from my last job. Therefore now I'm trying to sort out whether to pursue my other activities and wanted a little advice/help or inspiration. I've listed below what I do at the moment and think I may need to cut loose some of it to focus more efforts on certain projects or to start new ones. Please also note that my partner currently works part time and works from home so he looks after our daughter who is 2 and 1/2 and eventually will be looking after our baby boy also. I'm also trying to look at planning for the future with whatever I decide on the below my main aim is to get enough income in that I can work part time employed and the rest self employed to allow me to get a bit more flexible time around my home life.

Here goes:

1. Working full time, 8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri one week and Sun-Thurs the following. Work is not too far away about 40 mins. Enjoy the job to a degree but is a little far for the money. However better than not having anything, enjoy the role but thinking maybe whilst on maternity leave I look for something a little closer but may have to drop pay a little.

2. Mothers R Us website - running this website part time, never really been able to put 110% into it due to time factor which means it has never really been hugely successful. If I were to carry on with it and build it up and I need to decide whether to renew by website package subscription at 120 for the year through 123.reg which is due August. Obviously I need to put a plan in place to properly promote it and increase stock etc which again means money. Or maybe change the focus of the whole site into something else. Or just do ebay and sell other things too. I do have over 2500 facebook friends so quite a decent network.

3. www.premiervirtualassistance.co.uk another website I set-up promoting my virtual assistant service. However again never really progressed from this, not promoted and not focused on it. I think this is due to the fact in the back of my mind the time factor is hanging there and i think if I get a job then will I get chance to do it. Therefore to I keep the site going, get rid or maybe use this once I am able to go part time as a back up...I could promote the service in our local magazine I guess. The site itself is not costing a great deal hence the reason I've just left it there.

4. Advertising Consultant for free local magazine. I started this when I was made redundant since June. It hasn't earn't me a fortune as on commission only but I;ve kept going as thought whilst I'm on maternity leave it will help if I can get sales in. However at the moment I'm not getting a lot as again the time factor. It is on my mind a lot as I keep thinking all the spare time I have I should be focusing on this. I keep wondering whether to finish it as it's kind of worrying me. I do enjoy it but more so when I had the time. It does have potential if the effort is put in.

5. Lastly in the back of my mind I'm wondering whether just to do ebay. Set something up selling clothing etc and take it from there. Not sure whether to open an ebay shop as such due to the fees. Maybe start off just listing as a regular ebay seller. I've done well on selling on ebay before and in a way it's good as already marketed and it works to a degree if you get the right stuff listed.

I kind of feel due to the time factor that selling something would be better than providing a service, purely as the selling can be done 24-7 whereas a service can only be done when you have the time.

I really want to do something other than working a regular job also as I have that desire inside to do something else and have something I do that I can call my own but make a little money on the side also. It's just got to that point I need to look at what I currently do and maybe cut loose some of it. However wanted to know what you though as sometimes when you look at it yourself you go around in circles which I am doing now and don't know what to do.

Sorry for the long post but hope you can help!....

xxxx
Old 17-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
stickerstocker

I Think MothersRus could be a goldmine. You have a great .com, sound like you have put a lot of work into networking it. Spend some money on a pro looking website that is seo friendly. Promote through ebay sales with flyers etc and just focus on this one thing.
Old 18-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
MothersRUs

Originally Posted by stickerstocker View Post
I Think MothersRus could be a goldmine. You have a great .com, sound like you have put a lot of work into networking it. Spend some money on a pro looking website that is seo friendly. Promote through ebay sales with flyers etc and just focus on this one thing.

Thanks for this, your right about spending the money on a professional site and I know it needs to be done it's just I worry about taking the risk hahaha but I guess we all need to take risks in business to see what works. Think I may look at the cost of a site, I already use Zencart so maybe I can get a developer/designer to use this as the cart so I can easily manage it.